Common Plants Poisonous to Your Dog

There are a surprising number of common house plants and poisonous garden plants containing toxic properties that can pose health risks to your dog. As spring breathes new life into the world around us, we often look to bring a little bit of this beauty into our homes and gardens. A significant number of pet owners, however, have no clue that many are plants poisonous to dogs.


Beautiful as they may be, this type of Lily is highly toxic to both cats and dogs. Ingestion of this flower by a dog can lead to irritation of the tongue and lips, increased salivation and difficulty swallowing. They are collective in gardens, and even a small amount consumed by a dog may cause a significant amount of harm.


The seeds of this plant are the ones to worry about they are highly venomous, on consumptions it may cause seizure, melancholy, diarrhea, and vomiting, liver failure. Even though the attention of danger is driven to the seeds of the plant, it should be noted that the whole plant poisonous, it’s just that the poison concentration rate is profoundly high at the seeds.


In severe cases pets can experience a drop in blood pressure, coma or death after this plant gets it their system. In mild poisoning cases, the results will be the loss of appetite, slobbering and the central nervous system of the dog may be put at risk.


It’s a ubiquitous garden flower, but dogs should be kept away from them. When ingested it causes convulsions, diarrhea, arrhythmia, vomiting and low blood pressure.


To many dog owners this may sound either ridiculous or may come as a shock, but the fact is these plants are toxic to dogs. The seeds, stems, and leaves of apples have a type of poison known as cyanide. The symptoms of this poison will include the mucous membrane becoming bright red, features shock, and/or breathing difficulties. Consuming avocados causes mild poisoning that may present with vomiting and diarrhea.


These two plants are household favorites, appearing in homes across the country. Unfortunately for dog owners, it is best to leave this one out as it contains a chemical that is known to cause oral irritation, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing and vomiting.


Ricin poison is contained in the leaves; stem and seeds of this may lead to abdominal pain, weakness of the body, intense thirst, loss of appetite, drooling, diarrhea and long run death of the dog.


This plant causes the dog's mouth to have a burning irritation, making it difficult to swallow food or water. It is because this plant has a chemical called insoluble oxalates.


This type of garden flower causes gastrointestinal inflammation, extreme drooling, and diarrhea leading to dehydration.


Sadly, the tulip in its entirety is on this list of poisonous plants. With the bulb being the most toxic you definitely want to keep this flower far away from your furry friends. Ingestion can cause significant oral irritation, excessive drooling, and nausea.




If you are a dog-owner aiming to add flowers or plants to your home or garden this spring, kindly take time to investigate first. Some are slightly toxic to dogs while others are extremely hazardous, so it’s better safe than sorry. Additionally, an astounding number of dogs suffer from allergies this time of year so investing in clothing and shoes can help protect your pet's skin from allergens. Get all of your dog's wardrobe needs from our array of stylish and functional dog clothing!